ClassifiedsTravel I Exporters Listings I Importers I Trade Help I Business I Export ads I Publishing I RegisterBus



We buy,sell and ship Thai made Toyotas and Isuzus anywhere



 UN driving license: these are not valid if purchased in Thailand. A company in Bangkok was issuing these but we have been told they are illegal and you should write back to the company for a refund.

  An international driver's license is accepted in Thailand. A foreign license holds no weight here. If you decide to stay in Thailand you should obtain a Thai license. Some Insurance companies will put in fine print in Thai that you must be the holder of a CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE which means a THAI DRIVERS' LICENSE not an international to claim insurance if you have an accident. To obtain an International license you must take documents to the Vehicle Registration Division of the Communication Transport Agency (opposite Chatuchak Park), Poholythin Rd, Bangkok, Tel: (02) 272-3615. Application can also be made at the Vehicle Registration Office in Chiang Mai located on Chiangmai-Hangdong Rd. tel (053) 270-411 as well as other registered Centres. Allow one month for issuance & mail delivery from Bangkok.

Firstly, you must apply for your Thai driving license in the province that you live in. For example, if you live in Sukhothai province, do not apply in Bangkok or Chiangmai. Most registration Offices have English speaking staff. Local province offices cannot issue International Driving licenses as you need some English expertise to do the translation. We were told you cannot create an international driving license from your Thai one until you have held it for at least a year? . What you need:

1. Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or Consulate. English translation is OK.

2. Thai Driver's license which has been renewed for the second year.3. Work Permit.4. 2 photos size 1 1/2" X 21/2"5. Copy of Passport & visa page

6  fee in baht. USA = 505 baht.? may be subject to change.


Applications must be made in person. Take originals & one set of copies. Applications made in Chiangmai require 2 sets of copies, a money order fee & a self addressed return envelope with 2 postage stamps for registered mail.


1. Original Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or consulate. (under 1 month old) If doing 2 licenses eg. car/motorbike then you can use a copy for the 2nd license.

2. Non-immigrant visa.

3. Passport

4. Medical report from a doctor or hospital (under 1 month old & original ). About 20-50 baht cost.

5. Your country driver's license to verify what license you hold (if not you take a test written multi choice & road test. If no bike or car you can rent). Watch the motorcycles as they have no brakes but the test is simple- a slalom through 5 poles.

6. 2 photos size 1" X 1"

7. fee baht 205 baht for a car license. motorcycle 105 baht

The Chiangmai drivers license centre has photo copy machines, laminating machines & photo stalls etc. tests go upstairs but the Help counter will direct you. Written tests start at 1pm & a motorcycle hiring fee is 10 baht. The tests are easy but the written is somewhat ambiguous. You must get over 15 out of 20 questions but if you fail just go back and do it again. You also have an eyesight test which is simple. If you have both motorcycle & car license from your country then do both licenses using copies for the second license otherwise you have to obtain another letter (original) from your embassy. The license is current for 1 year and following the year you have 365 days to renew or you will have to do the licenses all over again.

What you need: Passport & immigration copies, copy from Immigration, 4 small 1"  photos which you can normally get out at the Registration Office for 90 baht & of course the forms & drivers license. You pay 60 baht for the license and they will receipt it then you go back in the afternoon next day to pick up. Go upstairs to window 203 then pay at 202 then collect at 203. ( If you need forms or want us to get in Chiangmai then ask us if not sure ).

 Renewal will run 105 Baht. 3 Baht for three passport copies, 90 Baht for four (4) color pictures (two of which you can keep until next year) Drivers license renewal can take place in one day providing your are prepared to return in late afternoon to pick it up. Don't forget to bring your passport!

BANGKOK: The Driving License Sub-Division of the Motor Vehicles Registration Office, Tel: 02 279-2959 will tell you where to find the right place. Sukhumvit residents, go to Soi 99. Exit the expressway at Soi 62, turn right into Sukhumvit Road and then left (at Diethelm Building) walk down the long side street and it is on the left at the end of the street.

PATTAYA: On the road to the Regent International school. You need to sit tests for a renewal or 5 year license.

CHIANGMAI: On the Hangdong-Hod Rd just past Lotus superstore.

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office: Drivers licenses for Phuket 42/4 Rattanakosin Song-Roy-Pee Road, Taladneua, Muang, Phuket, 83000 Thailand. TEL: (66) 076.211.019, 076.220.792  076.214.930, direct line 076.214.929                  E-mail: 


1. Its a current driving license if you have an accident.

2. The license has your passport number on it so is your ID card for renting cars, hotel stays etc or admission into places where otherwise you need your passport.

3. ID for banking & checking in or out parcels and clearances.

4. Renewals are straight forward.

5. You are supposed to possess one if living in Thailand after 6 months.

6. It can save you a hell of a lot of money in the longrun !!!!! especially if your Inter isn't current & you cannot read the fine print on your Insurance policy.

7. On passing the test, a Thai driverís license will be issued & is valid for 1 year. This may be renewed for a further 1 year. After 2 renewals it no longer expires for Thais but foreigners must renew every year unless they are permanent residency.

Translate your Thai License:

If you have a Thai driver's license, you can have it officially translated with official stamps, your photo and all into English at the Ministry of land transport for 50 baht. This document will then serve as second license for you, a valid international driver's license usable anywhere in the world. This procedure is much easier than getting a Thai issued international driver's license which technically would not be valid in Thailand. When driving outside your home country it is recommended that you always have with you a second (international) driver's license.

Cost for driving license: 105 baht for a car and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted. Do both licenses at the same time otherwise you may have to produce a second Embassy document stating where you live although now the new policy appears to be Immigration letter rather than the Embassy one, either or. You will probably have to sit for a written test on road rules as well. Obtaining a Thai driving license is advantageous if you do not 
have an International Driving License and want to drive in the  following countries with a Tourist Visa.: Singapore, Malaysia, Laos 


1) Passport for sighting (and 1 signed copy of photo page) 
2) Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each) 
3) Two 1 inch photos Note: Available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building. 
4) Your old driving license. Take in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon.

To replace your lost license please bring with you 
1) Passport (and 1 signed copy) 
2) Visa (and 1 signed copy) 
3) Two 1 inch photos : Available from vendors outside. 
4) Sign your signature in your new driving license and receive 
it on the next day 

No driving test needed. Exchange a signed copy of your international driving license then you will get a Thai driving license.  Must have a signed photo copy of every page of the international driving license. Your international driving license must be valid otherwise you must sit a driving test 
Note: You must bring the original issues of your passport, Visa, and International Driving License, and all copies signed



If you need our help just ask us: Check out Asia Real Estate for houses, sales and rentals from condos to land & any law help you need. [ Asia Realty

Remember if coming to Thailand go to your nearest Thai Consulate in your home country to find out if you need a visa.  Arrival in Thailand you can obtain 15 - 30 days eg. USA. It varies between countries.


Promote your business on our site [ Home ] [ Website ] [ List your company in Asia Exports ] [ More about Chiangmai Trader News ] [ Non immigrant Visas ] [Lawyer costs & services ] [ Visas ] [ Work Permits ] [ Companies ] [ Limited Partnerships ] [ Tourist visas ] [ Residency Visa] [ 1 year visa ] [ Thai license ]  [ Company tax ] [ Income tax ] [ Company VAT ] [ Read expats Newsboard ]  [ Chiangmai ] [  Condos & rentals ] [ Leasing land ] [ Thai products ] [ Arriving Bangkok ] [ see online ads ] [Back to exporters list ] [ Chiangmai ] [ Fishing  ]   [ Clothing ] [ Aircraft ownership ]   [ Oil Paintings ]  [ Wood doors ] [ Motorcycle  exports ] [ Spare wheel covers ] [ Canned food products ] [ Renting or Buying Real Estate ][ Sandstone ] [ Ice Boxes & Eskies ] [ Bike T shirts ] [ Jeans & designer wear ] [ Designer jeans ] I Toolboxes  I Russian helicopter sales I Wheelie bins I Portable homes/offices ] [ Genuine home furniture maker ] [ Heavy Machinery agents ] [ FTC Plastics Company ] [ Shop & showroom fittings ] [ China minibikes & off roaders ] [ Oil Paintings & reproductions ] [ Funeral rotomolded caskets ] [ [ Belts made in Thailand ] [ Business shirts ] [ Thai cushionsPVC windows & doors ] [ Digital keyless door locks ] [ Flipflops ] [ Parquet flooring ] [ Baby and children clothes ] [ Rubber keyrings ] [ T shirts / Polo shirts ] [ Exporting cars & pickups ] [ Tank tops ] [ Lacquerware pictures and frames ] [ Jockey shorts & long legs ] [ Stainless Portable outdoor bars ] [ Rubber keyrings ] [ Silk toiletry/comestic bags ] [ Army Camo embroidery trousers ] Denim ladies skirts I Rock Eagle T shirts i Mobile tel Battery chargers I Deep sea fishing I Bang Saen fishing I Containers for sale I Container offices I Ex works used cars I

EXPORTS IMPORTS & SHIPPING [ SHIPPING FORM ] [ Shipping Info ] [ Shipping & Freight ] [ Arriving Bangkok ]  [ Importing to Thailand ] [ Importing Cars & Vehicles to Thailand ] [ Freight forwarding ] [ Container cost ]  [ Sea freight ] [ Air freight ] [ Airlines in Thailand ] [Back to exporters list ] [ Container cost ] [ Shipping to USA ] [ Shipping Personal items ] [ Shipping Cars ] [ Shipping Agent ] [ Buddha images & Food  ] [ Tariffs ] [ Letter of credit ] [ Fine Arts license ]  [ SHIPPING FORM ]




[ Outsourcing Products in China & Thailand ]        

           Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.            





Please email :

N.B. Complete law services via our NEW Thai Lawyer partner . (re: Alien Business Law: NEC Announcement 281 Cat A prohibited to foreigners). However under the terms of our  Company License Asia Trading Post (Co Ltd)  provide : 1. Cat 34 lawyer services  &2.  Cat 35.consultancy services.

 COPYRIGHT: No parts or parts of this website may be copied, printed or circulated for publication in any form or part of without the express written permission of Asia Trading Post Co Ltd. Please also note all Thailand affected pages which include eg. law, immigration, visas can not be used unless  written permission is obtained from both 29 Tanin Co Ltd--Law Office & also Asia Trading Post Co Ltd by way of contract.  All infringements will be an infringement of privacy and our company will act accordingly. See FAQs