from Thailand truck, motorcycle and motor vehicle
registration processes in Thailand and Chonburi
PATTAYA CAR, MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATION
Drive out on the Highway 3 from Pattaya to the Regents School which is on the right and do a U turn by the school. Go past the school and you will see a left turn which will take you to the Pattaya Registration Office where you can register your cars and bikes. Insruance, copiers etc are all there but you cannot get tabians or registration books changed. For this you need to go to the Chonburi Office if your book is from Chiangmai and you want to change to Chonburi
Land Transportation Authority Office - Vehicle registration and licensing.
147 Moo 1, Sukhumvit Road,
Amphur Muang, Chonburi, 20000.
Tel: +66 (0)38 275 200 (2), Fax: +66 (0)38 398-053
DRIVER'S LICENSE & CAR, MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATION
If you need to get a drivers licenses or sit the driving test in Chonburi then the Registration dept is on the qway out of Chonburi towards Bangkok on the right side past the Army Camp. See the pics below. One can get a renewal license or registration and have car inspected etc all in one. The One stop process is excellent.
Chonburi Registration Dept is just on the way out of Chonburi on Hway 3 past the Army base on the right side. Look for the Bridge above then make the next U turn
Chonburi Registration and Motorcycle Truck Registration Inspection & Main office
The motorcycle test conducted in the afternoons
In and out of 5 witches hats but take a wide berth from the first one to get a nice angle
Firstly, you must apply for your Thai driving license in the province that
you live in. For example, if you live in Sukhothai province, do not apply in
Bangkok or Chiangmai. Most registration Offices have English speaking staff.
Local province offices cannot issue International
Driving licenses as you need some English expertise to do the translation. We
were told you cannot create an international driving license from your
Thai one until you have held it for at least
a year? . What you need:
1. Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or
Consulate. English translation is OK.
2. Thai Driver's license which has been renewed for the second
year.3. Work Permit.4. 2 photos size 1 1/2" X 21/2"5. Copy of Passport & visa page
6 fee in baht. USA = 505 baht.? may
be subject to change.
|Applications must be made in person. Take originals & one
set of copies. Applications made in Chiangmai require 2 sets of copies, a money
order fee & a self addressed return envelope with 2 postage stamps for
1. Original Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or
consulate. (under 1 month old) If doing 2 licenses eg. car/motorbike then you
can use a copy for the 2nd license.
2. Non-immigrant visa.
4. Medical report from a doctor or hospital (under 1 month old
& original ). About 20-50 baht cost.
5. Your country driver's license to verify what license you
hold (if not you take a test
written multi choice & road test. If no bike or car you can rent). Watch the
motorcycles as they have no brakes but the test is simple- a slalom through 5
6. 2 photos size 1" X 1"
7. fee baht 155 baht. motorcycle Car 205 baht
The Chiangmai drivers license centre has photo copy machines,
laminating machines & photo stalls etc. tests go upstairs but the Help
counter will direct you. Written tests start at 1pm & a motorcycle hiring fee
is 10 baht. The tests are easy but the written is somewhat ambiguous. You must
get over 15 out of 20 questions but if you fail just go back and do it again.
You also have an eyesight test which is simple. If you have both motorcycle
& car license from your country then do both licenses using copies for the
second license otherwise you have to obtain another letter (original) from your
embassy. The license is current for 1 year and following the year you have 365
days to renew or you will have to do the licenses all over again.
What you need: Passport & immigration
copies, copy from Immigration, 4 small 1" photos which
you can normally get out at the Registration Office for 90 baht
& of course the forms & drivers license. You pay 205 baht
for the license and they will receipt it then you go back in the
afternoon next day to pick up. Go upstairs to window 203 then pay
at 202 then collect at 203. ( If you
need forms or want us to get in Chiangmai then ask us if not sure
Renewal will run 105 Baht. 3 Baht for three passport
copies, 90 Baht for four (4) color pictures (two of which you can keep
until next year) Drivers license renewal can take place in one day
providing your are prepared to return in late afternoon to pick it up. Don't forget to bring your passport!
BANGKOK: The Driving License Sub-Division of the Motor Vehicles Registration Office, Tel:
02 279-2959 will tell you where to find the right place. Sukhumvit residents,
go to Soi 99. Exit the expressway at Soi 62, turn right into Sukhumvit Road and
then left (at Diethelm Building) walk down the long side street and it is on the left at the end of the street.
On the Hangdong-Hod Rd just past Lotus superstore.
1. Take your assport and a signed copy .
2. A Residence Certificate signed by Immigration not more than 30 days old (2 if you are also applying for a motorcycle license). For a Residence Certificate you have to have proof of where you live and get your mail. They prefer a document from an official source with your name and address on it. Things such as a telephone bill, electric bill, water bill, bank letter addressed to your residence or a lease agreement seem to be satisfactory. Ownership papers alone do not meet this test - you could own a condo but rent it to someone else. But if you can show you receive your mail there they will probably accept it. They will want a signed copy of whatever proof of residence you offer. Immigration will also want photos.
3. Pictures are no longer required at the Drivers License Office as of May 30, 2008. The Driving License office will take the pictures. Formerly, two pictures (4 if applying for both licenses) were required.
4. A Non-immigrant visa valid for 60 days or longer, or a valid work permit (if you have one). A Tourist Visa is not acceptable.
5. A health certificate obtained within the last 30 days before the application date (2 if also applying for a motorcycle license). Doctor Sawaddipong Clinic on the two way portion of second road in South Pattaya near Baiyoke Hotel does the medical. Cost is 80 Baht and service was quick. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and Pattaya International Hospital, Dr. Oliver, and other private physicans will do it for up to 250 baht.
6. A copy of your currently valid International Driving License (if you have one) – get one if you can
7. A copy of your driving license from your country. If it is not in English, it must be translated into Thai r English, and approved by your Embassy.
The fee for the vehicle Drivers License is 205 baht.
The fee for a motorcycle Drivers License is 155 baht.
Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office: Drivers licenses for Phuket 42/4 Rattanakosin Song-Roy-Pee Road,
Taladneua, Muang, Phuket, 83000 Thailand. TEL: (66) 076.211.019, 076.220.792
076.214.930, direct line 076.214.929
OF HAVING A LICENSE:
1. Its a current driving license if you have an
2. The license has your passport number on it so is
your ID card for renting cars, hotel stays etc or admission into places
where otherwise you need your passport.
3. ID for banking & checking in or out parcels and
4. Renewals are straight forward.
5. You are supposed to possess one if living in
Thailand after 6 months.
6. It can save you a hell of a lot of money in the
longrun !!!!! especially if your Inter isn't current & you cannot
read the fine print on your Insurance policy.
7. On passing the test, a Thai driverís license will be
issued & is valid for 1 year. This may be renewed for a
further 1 year. After 2 renewals it no longer expires for Thais
but foreigners must renew every year unless they are permanent
Translate your Thai License:
If you have a Thai driver's license, you can have it
officially translated with official stamps, your photo and all into English at the Ministry of land transport for 50 baht. This
document will then serve as second license for you, a valid international
driver's license usable anywhere in the
world. This procedure is much easier than getting a Thai issued
international driver's license which technically would not be valid in
Thailand. When driving outside your home country it is recommended that you
always have with you a second (international) driver's license.
Cost for driving license: 105 baht for a car and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted.
Do both licenses at the same time otherwise you may have to produce a second
Embassy document stating where you live although now the new policy appears to
be Immigration letter rather than the Embassy one, either or. You will probably have to sit for a written test on road rules as well.
Obtaining a Thai driving license
is advantageous if you do not
have an International Driving License and want to drive in the
following countries with a Tourist Visa.: Singapore, Malaysia, Laos
1) Passport for sighting (and 1 signed copy of photo page)
2) Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of
3) Two 1 inch photos Note: Available from vendors outside the
parking area around the main building.
4) Your old driving license. Take in the morning and you
receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon.
A LOST DRIVING LICENSE:
To replace your lost license please bring with you
1) Passport (and 1 signed copy)
2) Visa (and 1 signed copy)
3) Two 1 inch photos : Available from vendors outside.
4) Sign your signature in your new driving license and receive
it on the next day
A FOREIGNER HAS AN INTERNATIONAL LICENSE
No driving test needed. Exchange a signed copy of your international driving license
then you will get a Thai driving license.
Must have a signed photo copy of every page of the international driving license.
Your international driving license must be valid otherwise you
must sit a driving test
Note: You must bring the original issues of your passport, Visa, and International Driving License, and
all copies signed
[ BUYING A CAR IN
If you need our help just ask us:
Check out Asia Real Estate for houses, sales and rentals from condos to
land & any law help you need. [ Asia
Remember if coming to Thailand go to your nearest Thai Consulate in your home
country to find out if you need a visa. Arrival in Thailand you can obtain 30 days eg. USA. It varies between
AIRPORT BANGKOK ]
EXPORTS IMPORTS & SHIPPING [ SHIPPING FORM ] [ Shipping Info ] [ Shipping & Freight ] [ Arriving Bangkok ] [ Importing to Thailand ] [ Importing Cars &
Vehicles to Thailand ] [ Freight forwarding ] [ Container cost ] [ Sea freight ] [ Air freight ] [ Airlines in Thailand ] [Back
to exporters list ] [ Container cost ] [ Shipping to USA ] [ Shipping Personal items ] [ Shipping Cars ] [ Shipping Agent ] [ Buddha images & Food ] [ Tariffs ] [ Letter of credit ] [ Fine Arts license ]
[ SHIPPING FORM ]
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
N.B. Complete law services via our NEW Thai Lawyer partner . (re: Alien
Business Law: NEC Announcement 281 Cat A prohibited to foreigners).
However under the terms of our Company License Asia Trading Post
(Co Ltd) provide : 1. Cat 34 lawyer services &2. Cat
parts or parts of this website may be copied, printed or circulated for
publication in any form or part of without the express written permission of
Asia Trading Post Co Ltd. Please also note all Thailand affected pages which
include eg. law, immigration, visas can not be used unless written
permission is obtained from both 29 Tanin Co Ltd--Law Office & also Asia Trading
Post Co Ltd by way of contract. All infringements will be an infringement
of privacy and our company will act accordingly. See FAQs