ClassifiedsTravel I Exporters Listings I Importers I Trade Help I Business I Export ads I Publishing I RegisterBus



Everything from Thailand truck, motorcycle and motor vehicle

registration processes in Thailand and Chonburi


Drive out on the Highway 3 from Pattaya to the Regents School which is on the right and do a U turn by the school. Go past the school and you will see a left turn which will take you to the Pattaya Registration Office where you can register your cars and bikes. Insruance, copiers etc are all there but you cannot get tabians or registration books changed. For this you need to go to the Chonburi Office if your book is from Chiangmai and you want to change to Chonburi

   Land Transportation Authority Office - Vehicle registration and licensing.
147 Moo 1, Sukhumvit Road,
Amphur Muang, Chonburi, 20000.
Tel: +66 (0)38 275 200 (2), Fax: +66 (0)38 398-053


 If you need to get a drivers licenses or sit the driving test in Chonburi then the Registration dept is on the qway out of Chonburi towards Bangkok on the right side past the Army Camp. See the pics below. One can get a renewal license or registration and have car inspected etc all in one. The One stop process is excellent.

Chonburi Registration Dept is just on the way out of Chonburi on Hway 3 past the Army base on the right side. Look for the Bridge above then make the next U turn
Chonburi Registration and Motorcycle Truck Registration Inspection & Main office


The motorcycle test conducted in the afternoons
In and out of 5 witches hats but take a wide berth from the first one to get a nice angle

Firstly, you must apply for your Thai driving license in the province that you live in. For example, if you live in Sukhothai province, do not apply in Bangkok or Chiangmai. Most registration Offices have English speaking staff. Local province offices cannot issue International Driving licenses as you need some English expertise to do the translation. We were told you cannot create an international driving license from your Thai one until you have held it for at least a year? . What you need:

1. Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or Consulate. English translation is OK.

2. Thai Driver's license which has been renewed for the second year.3. Work Permit.4. 2 photos size 1 1/2" X 21/2"5. Copy of Passport & visa page

6  fee in baht. USA = 505 baht.? may be subject to change.


Applications must be made in person. Take originals & one set of copies. Applications made in Chiangmai require 2 sets of copies, a money order fee & a self addressed return envelope with 2 postage stamps for registered mail.


1. Original Affidavit of residence executed at your Embassy or consulate. (under 1 month old) If doing 2 licenses eg. car/motorbike then you can use a copy for the 2nd license.

2. Non-immigrant visa.

3. Passport

4. Medical report from a doctor or hospital (under 1 month old & original ). About 20-50 baht cost.

5. Your country driver's license to verify what license you hold (if not you take a test written multi choice & road test. If no bike or car you can rent). Watch the motorcycles as they have no brakes but the test is simple- a slalom through 5 poles.

6. 2 photos size 1" X 1"

7. fee baht 155 baht. motorcycle Car 205 baht

The Chiangmai drivers license centre has photo copy machines, laminating machines & photo stalls etc. tests go upstairs but the Help counter will direct you. Written tests start at 1pm & a motorcycle hiring fee is 10 baht. The tests are easy but the written is somewhat ambiguous. You must get over 15 out of 20 questions but if you fail just go back and do it again. You also have an eyesight test which is simple. If you have both motorcycle & car license from your country then do both licenses using copies for the second license otherwise you have to obtain another letter (original) from your embassy. The license is current for 1 year and following the year you have 365 days to renew or you will have to do the licenses all over again.

What you need: Passport & immigration copies, copy from Immigration, 4 small 1"  photos which you can normally get out at the Registration Office for 90 baht & of course the forms & drivers license. You pay 205 baht for the license and they will receipt it then you go back in the afternoon next day to pick up. Go upstairs to window 203 then pay at 202 then collect at 203. ( If you need forms or want us to get in Chiangmai then ask us if not sure ).

 Renewal will run 105 Baht. 3 Baht for three passport copies, 90 Baht for four (4) color pictures (two of which you can keep until next year) Drivers license renewal can take place in one day providing your are prepared to return in late afternoon to pick it up. Don't forget to bring your passport!

BANGKOK: The Driving License Sub-Division of the Motor Vehicles Registration Office, Tel: 02 279-2959 will tell you where to find the right place. Sukhumvit residents, go to Soi 99. Exit the expressway at Soi 62, turn right into Sukhumvit Road and then left (at Diethelm Building) walk down the long side street and it is on the left at the end of the street.

CHIANGMAI: On the Hangdong-Hod Rd just past Lotus superstore.


1. Take your assport and a signed copy .
2. A Residence Certificate signed by Immigration not more than 30 days old (2 if you are also applying for a motorcycle license). For a Residence Certificate you have to have proof of where you live and get your mail. They prefer a document from an official source with your name and address on it. Things such as a telephone bill, electric bill, water bill, bank letter addressed to your residence or a lease agreement seem to be satisfactory. Ownership papers alone do not meet this test - you could own a condo but rent it to someone else. But if you can show you receive your mail there they will probably accept it. They will want a signed copy of whatever proof of residence you offer. Immigration will also want photos.
3. Pictures are no longer required at the Drivers License Office as of May 30, 2008. The Driving License office will take the pictures. Formerly, two pictures (4 if applying for both licenses) were required.
4. A Non-immigrant visa valid for 60 days or longer, or a valid work permit (if you have one). A Tourist Visa is not acceptable.
5. A health certificate obtained within the last 30 days before the application date (2 if also applying for a motorcycle license). Doctor Sawaddipong Clinic on the two way portion of second road in South Pattaya near Baiyoke Hotel does the medical. Cost is 80 Baht and service was quick. Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and Pattaya International Hospital, Dr. Oliver, and other private physicans will do it for up to 250 baht.
6. A copy of your currently valid International Driving License (if you have one) – get one if you can
7. A copy of your driving license from your country. If it is not in English, it must be translated into Thai r English, and approved by your Embassy.

The fee for the vehicle Drivers License is 205 baht.
The fee for a motorcycle Drivers License is 155 baht.

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office: Drivers licenses for Phuket 42/4 Rattanakosin Song-Roy-Pee Road, Taladneua, Muang, Phuket, 83000 Thailand. TEL: (66) 076.211.019, 076.220.792  076.214.930, direct line 076.214.929                  E-mail: 


1. Its a current driving license if you have an accident.

2. The license has your passport number on it so is your ID card for renting cars, hotel stays etc or admission into places where otherwise you need your passport.

3. ID for banking & checking in or out parcels and clearances.

4. Renewals are straight forward.

5. You are supposed to possess one if living in Thailand after 6 months.

6. It can save you a hell of a lot of money in the longrun !!!!! especially if your Inter isn't current & you cannot read the fine print on your Insurance policy.

7. On passing the test, a Thai driverís license will be issued & is valid for 1 year. This may be renewed for a further 1 year. After 2 renewals it no longer expires for Thais but foreigners must renew every year unless they are permanent residency.

Translate your Thai License:

If you have a Thai driver's license, you can have it officially translated with official stamps, your photo and all into English at the Ministry of land transport for 50 baht. This document will then serve as second license for you, a valid international driver's license usable anywhere in the world. This procedure is much easier than getting a Thai issued international driver's license which technically would not be valid in Thailand. When driving outside your home country it is recommended that you always have with you a second (international) driver's license.

Cost for driving license: 105 baht for a car and 55 baht for motorcycle. Applications for driving licenses for other forms of vehicle may not be granted. Do both licenses at the same time otherwise you may have to produce a second Embassy document stating where you live although now the new policy appears to be Immigration letter rather than the Embassy one, either or. You will probably have to sit for a written test on road rules as well. Obtaining a Thai driving license is advantageous if you do not 
have an International Driving License and want to drive in the  following countries with a Tourist Visa.: Singapore, Malaysia, Laos 


1) Passport for sighting (and 1 signed copy of photo page) 
2) Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each) 
3) Two 1 inch photos Note: Available from vendors outside the parking area around the main building. 
4) Your old driving license. Take in the morning and you receive a receipt to pick up in the afternoon.

To replace your lost license please bring with you 
1) Passport (and 1 signed copy) 
2) Visa (and 1 signed copy) 
3) Two 1 inch photos : Available from vendors outside. 
4) Sign your signature in your new driving license and receive 
it on the next day 

No driving test needed. Exchange a signed copy of your international driving license then you will get a Thai driving license.  Must have a signed photo copy of every page of the international driving license. Your international driving license must be valid otherwise you must sit a driving test 
Note: You must bring the original issues of your passport, Visa, and International Driving License, and all copies signed



If you need our help just ask us: Check out Asia Real Estate for houses, sales and rentals from condos to land & any law help you need. [ Asia Realty

Remember if coming to Thailand go to your nearest Thai Consulate in your home country to find out if you need a visa.  Arrival in Thailand you can obtain 30 days eg. USA. It varies between countries.


EXPORTS IMPORTS & SHIPPING [ SHIPPING FORM ] [ Shipping Info ] [ Shipping & Freight ] [ Arriving Bangkok ]  [ Importing to Thailand ] [ Importing Cars & Vehicles to Thailand ] [ Freight forwarding ] [ Container cost ]  [ Sea freight ] [ Air freight ] [ Airlines in Thailand ] [Back to exporters list ] [ Container cost ] [ Shipping to USA ] [ Shipping Personal items ] [ Shipping Cars ] [ Shipping Agent ] [ Buddha images & Food  ] [ Tariffs ] [ Letter of credit ] [ Fine Arts license ]  [ SHIPPING FORM ]



[ Outsourcing Products in China & Thailand ]        






Please email :

N.B. Complete law services via our NEW Thai Lawyer partner . (re: Alien Business Law: NEC Announcement 281 Cat A prohibited to foreigners). However under the terms of our  Company License Asia Trading Post (Co Ltd)  provide : 1. Cat 34 lawyer services  &2.  Cat 35.consultancy services.

 COPYRIGHT: No parts or parts of this website may be copied, printed or circulated for publication in any form or part of without the express written permission of Asia Trading Post Co Ltd. Please also note all Thailand affected pages which include eg. law, immigration, visas can not be used unless  written permission is obtained from both 29 Tanin Co Ltd--Law Office & also Asia Trading Post Co Ltd by way of contract.  All infringements will be an infringement of privacy and our company will act accordingly. See FAQs